Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pitman's Progress

This week I spent most of my time researching my topics. I read titles and abstracts searching for the background research that support my project. I collected about 60 articles by reading abstracts and I've narrowed them down to about 40 now by scanning the articles and conclusions. My next task is to sort them into sub topics. I wanted to start with enough articles that I wouldn't hesitate to dump a few if I didn't think they were a good fit. I'm waiting for the weekend to dive into the detail work.

I spent a couple hours at Pfau Library looking through some of the previous years' masters theses. I wanted to see what topics have been completed, and get a visual of the expected product. This was a valuable exercise for me because I held only the vaguest ideas about what a master's thesis looked like. For example, when Dr. Newberry writes, 'this tracks to Ch. 1 or Ch. 2', I thought he meant the recommended text and I now own my own copy of 'Writing the Winning Thesis'. Even after I plugged my existing work into the template, it wasn't until I read other theses that I realized he meant chapters in our own work. Yikes!

All in all, I continue to put one foot in front of the other for this project, my other classes, and my job. I'm enjoying reading everyone's blogs, shared processes and thoughts, thank you for posting them.

5 comments:

Zee M said...


Hey Darlene, It is nice to know that you are on our list. Looks like you are set on a great track. I should get going on my thesis and select the right topic. You have seen my 544 project and prototype. I am planning to take it further. What is your suggestion?

Carla Felix said...

Hello Darlene,

I have also started looking for articles but am having a hard time, I am going to find out if the library in the Palm Desert Campus has anything to offer.

Carla

maria said...

Hi Darlene

It's impressive to know that you already have about 60 articles and that you are in process of selecting them. Great Job!!!!

Maria

Carla Felix said...

Hello Darlene,

Thanks for the tips on searching for articles, it will definitely save me a ton of time, I have also found very few articles of EPSS

maria said...

Hi Darlene

Thanks so much for your suggestion. It has helped me in deciding what direction to take.

Maria